Tom is a partner in the firm’s litigation section and has more than 25 years of experience in the litigation and arbitration of complex cases. Tom regularly represents property owners, design professionals and construction contractors on construction related issues, including contract negotiation, claims analysis and presentation, labor and OSHA disputes, professional licensing disputes, and land condemnation.
Eckerd Youth Alternatives, Inc. v. North Carolina Department of Administration, Division of Purchase and Contract (2014).
- Successfully represented plaintiff in the Bid Protest of an award by Public Safety Purchasing and Logistics of a contact for youth care services.
Royal Plus, Inc. v. FRS, Inc, et al (Mecklenburg Superior Court, 2013).
- Obtained $500,000 settlement for plaintiff on a claim for breach of contract for restoration services.
North Carolina Department of Transportation Turnpike Authority v. G. G. Kelly et ux, et al (Wake County Superior Court, 2010).
- Successfully represented the Department as Special Counsel in an action to condemn property needed for the Western Wake Expressway.
read all representative experience
- North Carolina Department of Transportation v. Triangle Brick Co.(Wake County Superior Court) (2005): obtained $3.2 million settlement for client in a condemnation action
- Traylor Brothers Construction Company v. North Carolina Department of Transportation (Wake County Superior Court) (2002): obtained $5.5 million settlement for client on a bridge construction project.
- Commission of Labor v. ABF Freight Systems, Inc. (Wake County Superior Court) (2002): successfully appealed an adverse OSHA administrative decision regarding loading procedures, creating savings to the client of $1 million per year.
Author, Construction Law Settlement and Negotiation, Aspatore Books, 2007
Author, Construction Contracts with North Carolina Department of Transportation, 2004
Contributing Editor, North Carolina Administrative Law Guide, Business Law Resources, Inc., 1996
Supplement Editor, Construction Litigation: Strategies and Techniques, Wiley Law Publishing, 1993
Prior Legal ExperiencePrior to joining Poyner Spruill, Tom served as Assistant Attorney General of the North Carolina Department of Justice, Highway Division.