Karen has considerable experience in all stages of litigation and her clients benefit from her ability to quickly analyze a dispute and develop a strategic defense.
In addition to her work within the firm, Karen is actively involved, both as a volunteer and as a board member, with numerous nonprofit organizations in the community. Karen is a graduate of the North Carolina Bar Association Leadership Training Academy and of the Arts & Science Council’s (ASC) Cultural Leadership Training Program.
Areas of Focus
- Represents clients of all sizes in a broad range of contract and tort matters in court and through alternative dispute resolution
- Defends licensed professionals (lawyers, real estate brokers, accountants, actuaries, and inspectors) in state and federal courts and in disciplinary proceedings
- Counsels professionals in avoiding risks and mitigating claims
- Assists with document requests and subpoenas
+Tort & Insurance Defense
- Defends clients against a wide variety of tort claims
University of North Carolina, JD, 2005
University of North Carolina, BA, 1999, cum laude
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® in Commercial Litigation and Litigation – Real Estate, 2021-2023
Honored as one of North Carolina Lawyers Weekly’s 2019 Women of Justice award recipients
Ranked among Super Lawyers magazine’s North Carolina “Rising Stars” (Business Litigation), 2011-2017, and “Super Lawyers” (Business Litigation), 2019-2021
Ranked in Business North Carolina magazine’s “Legal Elite”; “Young Guns” 2016; “Legal Elite” 2020-2023
Recognized by North Carolina Lawyers Weekly as a 2016 North Carolina Leaders in the Law Honoree
+Professional & Community Activities
Board Member and Therapy Dog Team Member – Invisible Paw Prints, Inc.
Former Bd. of Dir./ Vice President, Claire’s Army, Inc.
Former Bd. Member, Kiwanis Club of Charlotte
Volunteer, Ministering to Ministers Foundation, Inc.
Volunteer, Lunch with a Lawyer Program
Member, North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
Member, North Carolina Bar Association, Litigation Section
Member, Mecklenburg County Bar Association
Former Member, Mecklenburg County Bar Fee Dispute Committee
Graduate, 2014 NC Bar Association Leadership Academy
Graduate, 2011 ASC Cultural Leadership Training