Kevin defends clients before administrative agencies such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the United States and North Carolina Departments of Labor, in state and federal courts, and in arbitrations. Kevin also guides management to ensure employment practices comply with all applicable statutes and regulations, including Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act, and workplace privacy issues.
Kevin also represents companies and individuals involving non-compete covenants, trade secrets, and other matters associated with departing employees. He advises clients on using non-compete covenants in employment contracts and other business agreements, and many other strategies for protection of key employees, customer relationships, and proprietary information.
Areas of Focus
- Defends charges of discrimination against employers, including on-site investigations, witness interviews, drafting position statements for submission to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and mediating cases.
- Drafts and revises employee handbooks and employment policies to ensure compliance with all applicable laws.
- Counsels clients on wage and hour requirements under the Fair Labor Standards Act and North Carolina Wage and Hour Act, including analysis of minimum wage and overtime obligations and structuring pay practices to avoid wage liability.
+Data Privacy & Information Security
- Advises clients on handling security breaches and compliance with the North Carolina Identity Theft Protection Act.
- Represents companies and individuals involving non-compete covenants, trade secrets, and other matters associated with departing employees.
- Advises regarding non-compete covenants in employment contracts and other business agreements, as well as a wide variety of other strategies for protection of key employees, customer relationships, and proprietary information.
- Aiding employers in the design, modification, and termination of executive employment agreements and executive compensation agreements.
+Policies, Contracts, & Handbooks
- Reviews handbooks, policies, and termination issues; a regular speaker on employment matters.
+Litigation Avoidance Counseling
Kevin works regularly with clients to analyze the risk of litigation presented by a termination, transfer, discipline, or layoff situation, and provides practical advice on how to structure such events to position the employer with the best defense to any claim the employee might make.+ CLOSE
+Certifications & Specializations
Certified Yellow Belt in Legal Lean Sigma by the Legal Lean Sigma Institute®+ CLOSE
Campbell University, JD, 2006
North Carolina State University, BS, 2001+ CLOSE
Ranked among Super Lawyers magazine’s North Carolina “Rising Stars” (Employment & Labor), 2012-2016
Ranked in Business North Carolina magazine’s “Legal Elite” (Employment) 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2019
Recognized as a Leading Attorney by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (Labor & Employment), 2017-2018
Campbell Law Review, Executive Editor+ CLOSE
+Professional & Community Activities
Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce, Leadership Raleigh; Class 29 Chair; Class 28 member; Leadership Raleigh Alumni Association Board (June 2013-Present)
SAFEchild, Board of Directors (June 2014 – Present)
The Raleigh School, Legal Counsel to Board of Trustees (August 2017-Present)
Wake County Citizens’ Energy Advisory Commission, Member (April 2014-March 2016)
North Carolina Bar Association
Wake County Bar Association+ CLOSE