Kate represents clients in federal and state court, arbitration, and proceedings before administrative agencies including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the United States Department of Labor, the Office of Federal Contractor Compliance, OSHA, the North Carolina Department of Labor, and the North Carolina Division of Employment Security.
Areas of Focus
- Counsels employers on various employment law issues including employee handbooks, hiring, background checks (including compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act and state ban-the-box laws), drug testing (Department of Transportation (“DOT”) and non-DOT testing), severance and release agreements, discipline, termination, compensation, employee leaves of absence, executive employment agreements, non-competition and non-solicitation agreements, confidentiality agreements, layoffs (including WARN Act compliance), and other employment law issues
- Conducts workplace employee and manager training on discrimination, sexual harassment, wage and hour issues, Family and Medical Leave Act and Americans with Disabilities Act compliance, and other employment law topics
- Advises employers on compliance with Office of Federal Contract Compliance Program (OFCCP) requirements, including Affirmative Action Plans and audits
- Conducts workplace investigations into allegations of sexual harassment and discrimination
- Represents employers in civil litigation brought under the FMLA, ADA, ADEA, Title VII, Section 1981, FLSA, and North Carolina law
- Represents employers before administrative agencies including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, OFCCP, Department of Labor (“DOL”), and North Carolina Department of Employment Security
- Procured dismissals and summary judgment orders in employment lawsuits; awarded injunctions in restrictive covenant disputes
- Represents employers in DOL and OFCCP audits
- Represents employers in Alternative Dispute Resolution, including mediation and arbitration proceedings
+Administrative Employment Law
+Litigation Avoidance Counseling
+Occupational Health & Safety
+Policies, Contracts, & Handbooks
- Provides representation and counseling to North Carolina licensees who are applying to, under investigation by, or being charged by licensing board and represents parties in hospital medical staff investigations and hearings.
- Advises Physicians on employment and restrictive covenant agreements
+Certifications & Specializations
Certified Yellow Belt in Legal Lean Sigma by the Legal Lean Sigma Institute®
University of Pittsburgh School of Law, J.D., cum laude
Clemson University, B.A.