Kelsey routinely represents clients before the Internal Revenue Service and Department of Labor in matters involving employee benefits.
Areas of Focus
+Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
- Assisting employers establish and maintain defined benefit and defined contribution retirement plans in compliance with ERISA and the Internal Revenue Code.
- Designing and redesigning retirement plans to take advantage of new rules and strategies, including safe harbor 401(k) plans, automatic contribution arrangement features, and cash balance plan conversions.
- Providing guidance to plan fiduciaries regarding meeting fiduciary duties and responsibilities under retirement plans.
- Counseling companies considering a retirement plan termination regarding compliance, required filings, and taxation issues.
- Advising employers on administration of benefit plans in accordance with applicable rules and regulations.
- Working with employers to identify and correct plan errors through the DOL and IRS compliance programs.
- Advising employers on welfare and fringe benefit plans, including HIPAA, COBRA, domestic partner, and non-discrimination issues.
- Negotiating and reviewing executive compensation arrangements, including compliance with Internal Revenue Code Section 409A.
- Aiding employers in the design, modification, and termination of executive employment agreements and executive compensation arrangements.
+Outside General Counsel Services
- Assisting companies with maintaining and documenting governance and corporate actions
- Negotiating contracts with both company clients and vendors
- Advising companies on benefits-related compliance matters including ERISA, HIPAA, and the tax code
+Certifications & Specializations
Certified Yellow Belt in Legal Lean Sigma by the Legal Lean Sigma Institute®+ CLOSE
Wake Forest University, JD, 2008, cum laude
North Carolina State University, BS, 2005, magna cum laude+ CLOSE
2018 National Women in Law Award by Corporate Counsel and Inside Counsel
Recipient of the James and Marie Mason Scholarship
Articles Editor, Wake Forest Law Review+ CLOSE
+Professional & Community Activities
Charlotte Benefits Forum Past President
American Society of Pension Professionals & Actuaries (ASPPA) IRS Subcommittee Chair, asap Committee Member, and Plan Consultant Magazine Committee Member
ASPPA College of Pension Actuaries (ACOPA) Government Affairs Committee
ASPPA Benefits Council of the Carolinas Board Member and Government Affairs Committee Chair
Professional Mentor with the NCSU Poole College of Management, 2012-2013, 2015-2016
North Carolina Bar Association
North Carolina Association of Women Attorneys
Children & Family Services Center, Board Member
Co-Editor-In-Chief of the Journal of Pension Benefits